The National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) has launched a mobile application for serving corps members.
The application will enable them to communicate and also access online content of the scheme, Director General of the scheme, Brigadier General Johnson Olawumi said at the launch in Abuja.
Brig. Gen. Olawumi said the introduction of the mobile application (app) was a tool for information dissemination that will fast track easy link between the scheme and its publics.
He said the mobile app will enable corps members communicate amongst themselves and officers of the scheme using their mobile phones.
The NYSC boss said during the 2014 batch B orientation course, the app will be made available in the online stores of Google (Play Store) and Blackberry for corps members to download into their phones and tablets.
The batch C corps members would be able to access their posting online, he said.
The acting director of ICT department of the scheme Joseph Abu said the mobile app “will technologically put the scheme in the pockets of corps members.
Some of the information includes the service guide, Bye laws, Security tips, health tips, distress issues, chatting platform, language lessons, and service news amongst others.”
He added that the app will equally offer that staff of the scheme the platform for adequate monitoring and feedback on any issue raised by corps members.
The apps decsiption on the Play Store says:
KEY FEATURES OF THE APPLICATION INCLUDE:
• NYSC SERVICE YEAR GUIDE
• Distress Report Tool (With rapid response from your state of service)
• NYSC News Feeds (Uploaded from all NYSC State Secretariats and the Directorate Headquarters)
• NYSC SECRETARIAT and Camp Addresses Guide
• Nigeria Local Languages Tutorials
• Skills Acquisition and Entrepreneurship Development (SAED) Corner
• CDS GUIDE
• Security Tips
• Health Tips
• NYSC BYE-LAWS and DECREE
• Profiles of Present and Past Directors General
• NYSC Official Distress Lines(for Voice Call, SMS and also Email)
• NYSC Web Portal
• Social Media Integration with Facebook, Twitter and YouTube
The following are the benefits abound within the application:
1) The NYSC MOBILE APP works 80% offline and 20% online which makes it really useful even in the most remote communities.
2) One-click access: simply click on the app icon and all the features and update are immediately at Corps members’ fingertips. Helpful to corps members in even the most local environments
3) NEWS and Information Updates: updates can be passed to all corps member in real time, without waiting for them to log onto the website for the most recent updates. Information simply comes to meet corps members not vice-versa
4) The app offers special mobile features that websites are much less compatible with.
5) Cost benefits: the cost of corps members getting information about will be reduced by over 100%
For the web version of the NYSC Mobile app, visit www.nyscmobile.org